Re: [Ietf108planning] Registration open for IETF 108

Hi Colin,
At 05:34 PM 10-06-2020, Colin Perkins wrote:
One datapoint: The RIPE meeting which went "virtual"? in May had *record* attendance (and no fee).

I'd be interested to see how the RIPE funding model compares to that of IETF.

I'll disclose that I am a Board member of Afrinic Ltd. The funding model is different from the IETF.

Sometimes I hear the word "micromanagement". That word is also included in the document which the IETF wrote for the LLC. There are matters which a community has strong views about. I can either listen to the views of the community or argue that the community should not discuss the matter as it is akin to micromanagement. As an example, I could say that the community does not have any right to ask questions about the attendance fee.

The second word is "oversight". I could be silent about the potential issues which I noticed or share some thoughts/advice for free. As an example, the "broadcast rights" could potentially affect the "Note Well".

It is very difficult to strike the right balance.

It has been said over the years that the IETF is funded through attendance fees. The travel restrictions due to COVID-19 could cause a potential loss of revenue of $2,311,531 [1]. I took a quick look at the information [2] which was shared at IETF 107. Is there a risk of the IETF facing financial difficulties in 2020? Are the persons attending that meeting allowed to ask questions about that? Would it be prudent to initiate the funding model discussion at that point in time?

Section 7.5 of RFC 8711 states that: "The IETF Executive Director sets those meeting fees, in consultation with other IETF LLC staff and the IETF community, with approval by the IETF LLC Board." The assumption when that RFC was approved by the IESG is that a meeting is a physical meeting. What is the appropriate course of action when the assumption is no longer valid? I have not come across those circumstances before. There are well-established protocols [3] which could be used to guide the decision-making.

The IETF (used loosely) will be making the same mistake twice.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy

1. It is complicated to come up with a good estimate as I don't have access to information which would be required for that. 2. https://datatracker.ietf.org/meeting/107/materials/slides-107-ietf-sessa-ietf-107-ietf-llc-report-01 3. The word "convention" would be a better fit.