Re: [Ietf108planning] Registration open for IETF 108

Hi,

On 2020-6-11, at 2:36, Paul Wouters <paul@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I agree with Stephen. I’m a bit puzzled why an online meeting would need to recoup a lot of money.

because the IETF's entire funding structure is based around meeting revenues and expenses, which is historically understandable but also not a great match for the present, esp. 2020.

Some time ago, some of us tried to talk to the IAOC to revamp the funding structure to make it much more independent of meetings as the primary revenue generator, since an increasing fraction of our costs aren't directly meeting-related anymore. Some steps in that direction had already been taken (e.g., the Global Hosts), but we were arguing for a more radical revamp. That effort fizzled out, for various reasons.

Lars