Re: [Ietf108planning] Registration open for IETF 108

Melinda

On 10/06/2020, at 9:41 AM, Melinda Shore <melinda.shore@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 6/9/20 1:33 PM, Jay Daley wrote:
It was discussed yes and we felt that adding one more special fee
without considering all of the other factors affecting affordability was
inappropriate, and that doing that should be part of a community process
to provide us with guidance.

I apologize if this seems like piling-on

No worries, this is all important.

but I agree with Stephen
that this is all becoming a bit problematic.  Why do you need a
community process for providing discounted registration fees but
not for changes to the IPR policy

As only just explained a little while ago, that was a mistake,

and to the institution of a
fee for remote participation?

That’s one way of interpreting it.  The other is that we have always charged an in-person meeting fee and now that the entire meeting has moved online, the fee has moved online with it and where previously we had a special mechanism of remote participation for certain groups of people, we now have a special mechanism of fee waivers targeted at those who are most affected.

Answering your main question about drawing the line between an interim decision without community consensus and something that requires consensus, the general approach is to take the minimum decisions possible with the smallest number of exceptions.  In the end it’s a matter of judgment though.

Jay

Melinda

--
Melinda Shore