Re: The TCP and UDP checksum algorithm may soon need updating

On Fri, Jun 05, 2020 at 12:10:25PM -0400, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 5, 2020 at 12:01 AM Joseph Touch <touch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Jun 4, 2020, at 7:57 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker <phill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Consider the case in which I am transfering a 60GB 4K movie over the net.
> > > Say for the sake of argument there is a 1% chance of a one bit failure.
> >
> > There are a lot of statistical assumptions in that statement.
> >
> > How about somebody showing an actual case where this has happened, please?
> >
> > Before we solve a problem in theory rather than in practice.
>
> Has anyone been looking? The security area has always been interested in

No one looks for this.

> theoretical attacks. They are by far the best kind.

This is a real problem, not theoretical.

I described an accident that happened some... I don't remember, 12? 15?
years ago at Sun.  The NIC in question showed lots and lots of errors,
but nobody noticed.  And some of those errors went undetected until
eventually corruption was detected in an application that led to a bug
hunt that found the NIC to be busted.

Nobody looks at NIC error counts.

As MTU/MSS sizes go up, as bandwidth goes up, this becomes more of a
risk.

Now, we've talked about how some applications are or can easily be
impervious to this.  If you're transferring static data, this is not a
problem because you just use crypto that detects TCP checksum failures
and then make the application protocol recover.  But some applications
are more difficult to address than others.

I wonder how much TCP offload HW will complicate the upgrade path here.

Nico