Re: Registration details for IETF 108

In article <26F99A80-E29F-4971-9F62-77688D5E7CA8@xxxxxxxx>,
Jay Daley  <jay@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> It seems that meeting sponsorship is ring-fenced for meeting costs, but meeting fees are applied more generally. Is that true?
>
>No.  In our accounting, no money is ring-fenced this way.

For anyone who's interested, the budget and actual numbers are here:

https://ietf.org/about/administration/financial-statements/

In past years, meetings usually ran a surplus that helped to pay for
the IETF's other expenses, but now it's closer to break even.

As the financial statements show, the 2019 budget forecast a $100K
surplus of meeting revenue over income. The actual meeting surplus was
abour $500K due mostly to lower than expected costs. The pre-COVID
2020 budget forecast had a meeting deficit (less revenue than expense)
of about $300K. Of course now, it's anyone's guess and I do not envy
Jay the job of staying on top of it.

R's,
John

--