Re: Revised IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020 to address feedback raised

On 29 May 2020, at 9:37, Eric Rescorla wrote:

6\. To deliver a toolchain that is up-to-date and well regarded by users.

This seems in conflict with "evidence-led". Suppose the toolchain
was well-regarded by users but empirically less efficient than
other toolchains.

I've got no problem with "efficient" being added to list of "up-to-date" and "well-regarded", but I wouldn't want to see "well-regarded" removed (at least with out something else that captures the right sense). We could get a data-driven result that using a particular toolchain is incredibly efficient, but if people are unwilling to use it for (perhaps irrational) reasons of not liking the look-and-feel of it, or even just because it uses a new way of thinking that people are resistant to, that weighs against trying to deliver it. I think it's OK for those principles to be in tension and the LLC has to use its judgment to figure out what's best (in consultation with the community of users, of course). But we still want to take that "regard" into account.

And like I said, a different term than "well-regarded" that captures my concern is perfectly OK.

pr
--
Pete Resnick https://www.episteme.net/
All connections to the world are tenuous at best