Re: Marking TCP/UDP Port 109 as "Historic"

On 5/7/2020 12:35 PM, John Levine wrote:
For once I agree with Keith.  If the IESG wants to deprecate ports
assigned to dead protocols, that's fine, but it should do them as a
group, not via Consensus Water Torture.

I think this is the right way to think about it. We should get consensus on a policy rather than discussing each and every port individually. "Ports assigned to historic protocols will be marked historic without requiring additional community consultation" seems like a good policy to me.

It's worth noting that there has already been some groundwork done here; and although community feedback indicates a need for changes to its contents, draft-kuehlewind-system-ports seems like a good place to add this general policy (along with the other changes that community feedback has indicated). It's also worth noting that this document does exactly what John proposes: it proposes to mark a group of ports (including 109) as Historic.

/a