RE: Effectiveness of STUN protocol

>> Dan Kolis wrote:
>> Yes indeed. Probably the #1 biggest use for STUN short
>> term is going to be SIP. It seems like not too much
>> information has to go thru the known reachable machine.
>> Maybe just about the same loading as a DNS server?

> Masataka Ohta wrote:
> Wrong.

No. _you_ are wrong, Dan is right, it's a glorified DNS server that
instead of resolving names to addresses resolves names to addresses +
ports. In case of P2P, there is also the load associated with searches.

So, two hosts behind NAT can't talk if they don't have a port open can
they?
Here's how it works:

- Dan and Michel are two hosts behind NAT. They both use the same P2P
app. Both their NAT boxes are default config, no ingress open.
- Dan wants to download the file "unforgiven.mp3" that Michel has.

- Michel opens a connection to the P2P server.
- Michel to P2p server: I have "unforgiven.mp3"
- Dan opens a connection to the P2P server.
- Dan to P2P server: search "unforgiven.mp3"
- P2P server to Dan: Michel has it, his IP
  address is M.I.P.A
  (P2P server knows Michel's public address as
  being the src address on Michel's open session)
- Dan to Michel: UDP packet, src port randomA,
  dst port randomB, "hello".
  (this packet is discarded at Michel's NAT but
  opens the NAT hole on Dan's NAT).
- Dan to P2P server: tell Michel that I need to
  talk on randomA, randomB.
- P2P server to Michel: BTW, Dan at IP D.I.P.A
  needs to talk to you on randomA, randomB.
- Michel to Dan: UDP packet, src port randomB,
  dst port randomA, "hi there, what is the name
  of the pirated mp3 you want?".
  (this opens the NAT hole on Michel's NAT _and_
  does reach Dan's host, as the hole was opened
  before).
- Dan to Michel (direct, now goes through):
  "unforgiven.mp3"

Voila.

If you don't understand/can't code what's above, don't worry: I know
plenty of 16-years-old that can code it for me in exchange for the
latest 60GB mp3 player.

Michel.

P.S. I never had "unforgiven.mp3". Metallica is not the kind of stuff I
listen to.