Re: Consultation on IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 11:01 AM S Moonesamy <sm+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

A few days ago, I looked up the LLC status.  It was a bit surprising
to find out that it is not a recognized not-for-profit legal entity
even though it was incorporated in 2018.   I did not ask whether that
would have an impact on IETF operations.

The LLC inherits ISOC's not-for-profit status, as it is a disregarded entity under ISOC's umbrella; see section 9 of the IETF-LLC Agreement:

The Company and the Member intend that the Company be treated as a disregarded entity for all federal and relevant state tax purposes. Neither the Company nor the Member shall take any action or make any election which is inconsistent with such tax treatment. All provisions of this Agreement are to be construed so as to preserve the Company’s tax status as a disregarded entity

regards,

Ted