Re: P2P - Crime / NAT

On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:50:30 -0500
dank@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Dan Kolis) wrote:

> >This really doesn't say much about the scalability of the
> >solution. What it indicates is how much effort people are
> >willing to go to to commit what is perceived as victimless
> >crime.
>
> Two things.
> First, here in Canada there is a new tax on "media" like
> writable CD's;(extendable to Memory cards, or anything that
> likely holds licenced media). And this ostensibly is
> redistributed to the artists via some sort of audit like
> Arbitron, etc. So, at least here downloading movies, etc is
> part of a transaction. Apparently, oddly its legal to download
> music specifically... but MAYBE isn't legal; to offer it on a
> permenently available server ... with what constitutes a
> "server" intentionally vague.

Fortunately I don't live in Canada. Other wise, I would have now
started downloading music (as I never have before), because I now
wouldn't have a choice as to whether I pay for it or not.

> Law is a work around by its very nature. It only pretends
> precision.
>
> Second: If/When I start a residential gateway I think I will do
> everything possible to make it IpNG capable. Thanks everyone
> for talking me into it. I'm trying to study it in detail a
> little every evening to get ready. I hope cable TV (my
> industry) get with the program and do this right. These little
> boxes glued all over the networks with there http interfaces...
> are not specifically too good. If anything will force the issue
> its going to be SIP I think.
>
> Does anyone know when/if Microsoft is bring out a consumer
> operating system with IpV6 in it? That would be useful for
> market acceptance...???

I'm no expert (don't use MS OS anymore), but I understand that
IPv6 already comes with XP. Apparently, it is a simple one-line
command to install it.

>From what I've heard, the major thing missing would be NetBIOS
over IPv6 a.k.a. Microsoft File and Print sharing over IPv6.

Regards,
Mark.