Re: Consultation on IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020

On Sun, May 3, 2020 at 11:42 PM Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Stephen,

Apart from agreeing that 2 weeks isn't enough,

I also tend to think that 2 weeks isn't enough. This document isn't that long so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect people to read it in a few weeks, but I do think this will probably require >1 round of consultation and feedback.

I tend to disagree with you.
On the contrary, I'm delighted to see that the LLC is thinking about the
medium term.

+1.

Moreover, I would say that I think this sort of "we propose this kind of plan but want to see what the community thinks" is precisely what I would have expected the LLC board to do. I certainly do not think that, as Stephen suggests, the IESG should be doing this work. The reason we have an LLC with a separate board is precisely to have that board handle this kind of administrative work.

Perhaps some of the allergy here is to the word "strategy" here and that one might read that as the LLC setting the strategy for the IETF? What I take the appropriate subject matter here is the long term planning for the IETF LLC. This is not only appropriate but necessary. Consider, for instance, our software toolchain, where we have considerable investment and which needs to have a roadmap well in advance (i.e., a strategy).

-Ekr

Somebody needs to. As you say,

>  If the community do not
> have a 3-5 year strategy (and we clearly do not:-)...

Shame on us, then. It's clear that COVID-19 and sustainability arguments
mean that "go on doing what we've been doing" isn't a plan.

Admittedly, that doesn't make IETF LLC's planning any easier. I won't say
more till I've had a chance to read the draft.

Regards
   Brian