Re: Consultation on IETF LLC Draft Strategic Plan 2020

> Il 04/05/2020 02:19 IETF Executive Director <exec-director@xxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>

> The IETF Administration LLC has prepared its Draft Strategic Plan 2020 [1].  This is a significant expansion on the previous IETF LLC strategy and is intended to provide a comprehensive strategy both for the 2020 fiscal year and the long term.

I'm not enough an insider in this community to really appreciate all the implications of this document, though I like the idea of some organized medium and long term planning. (I must confess that when I read that "The LLC will uphold the values and policies of the IETF/IRTF/IAB" I wondered where I could find the values of the IETF; it doesn't seem to be immediate.)

However, I noticed that in the transformations section there are references to making the IETF more welcoming to newcomers, but I found nothing about increasing the diversity of the participants in several possible dimensions (gender, geography, language, age, employer, stakeholder group...) This is a standard objective for almost any organization claiming a global role, and normally translates into specific organizational measures and programs, building on the assumption that diversity is necessary to legitimacy, fosters better results, promotes participation and helps build tomorrow's leadership, keeping the organization successful in the long term.

There are practical things that can be done with some investment; for example, I don't expect the IETF to start translating its sessions into multiple languages, but automated closed captioning of the presenter would be quite useful for non-native speakers; or, one could imagine outreach sessions in local language towards Internet communities in target countries, to explain what the IETF is, what it does, and how to participate.

I don't know if this was ever considered before, but a strategic plan is a typical context for this discussion.

--

Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx