Re: News about the Internet Society and PIR.

Umm... the Internet has no owners, no government overseers - it is global infrastructure, that we've come to depend on, that's self-organized around standards that are written by those who show up, tested experimentally, and voluntarily adopted.  For now, the IETF standards process is as close as we have to governance - and it largely operates as a 24x7x365 town meeting, of those who show up.

For now, it seems like a rather good model to emulate, and expand to other areas of endeavor (say, the next generation of town meeting government in our communities - which has been my focus since 1992).

Unless & until something better comes along - we need to worry about the care & feeding of IETF - and doing so in ways that don't compromise the core model & values.

Miles Fidelman