Re: News about the Internet Society and PIR.

In article <E73BB349-1947-46AB-A810-207DD0AFF774@xxxxxxxxx> you write:
>I asked this once before, and was told that the key to IETF future funding was this sale.

If anyone told you that, they were wrong.

Most of ISOC's current funding, including for the IETF, comes from the
surplus from PIR.  Since we are not selling PIR, that will continue.

If we had sold PIR, the income from the endowment funded by the sale
would replace what we get from PIR.  In the short run, there wouldn't
be any financial difference, in the long run it depends what you think
about the long run prospects of the domain business.

The IETF's budget and funding sources are not exactly secret.  Start here:

https://ietf.org/blog/ietf-administration-llc-2020-budget/

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",