recommendations for Last Call email processing (was: Re: Six months in: evaluation of the last-call mailing list experiment)

On 4/30/20 7:12 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:

Keith, why do you say that last call comments are going all over the place.  The last call announcement sets reply-to to the last-call list. So unless people deliberately change it, that is where those comments go.

I haven't tried to survey MUAs for this behavior in a few years, but in practice I don't think you can depend on reply-to to be treated consistently by all MUAs.

The behavior of email users, MUAs, list software, etc. are all somewhat unpredictable, and I suspect inherently so, for a variety of reasons which for the sake of brevity I'll not mention here. So it's difficult for the sender of a message to force recipients to behave in the ways that the sender specifies.

-----

IMO it might be desirable for a WG mailing list to be in the loop for Last Call comments (and for the WG list to be cc'ed on announcements), but I would still like all of those comments to be collected together and made publicly visible in one obvious place.  Whether the best place for that is the last-call@xxxxxxxx list, or the datatracker, or some other place, I'm not entirely sure.   For archive purposes the datatracker seems good, for the purpose of having an effective ongoing conversation there's an advantage to keeping email messages in the email system and using ordinary email tools to deal with them.

-----

I'm tempted to suggest that every Last Call announcement should be From and have Reply-To set to last-call-{number}@ietf.org (where {number} is unique to that Last Call) and for that address to forward the message (adding/modifying To/Cc header fields as necessary) to wherever it needs to go: perhaps last-call@xxxxxxxx, perhaps the WG mailing list, perhaps the datatracker, certainly an archive.   The same last-call-{number}@ietf.org should be specified in the announcement text itself.   That way, all of the responses would be funneled through one place and processing/archiving/etc. would be consistent.    Searching of messages would also be more reliable as one could look for that specific address in the to/cc message headers.

Adding {area} and {wg}, e.g. last-call-{area}-{wg}-{number}@ietf.org, where applicable, might facilitate easy searching for Last Call traffic in a particular area or WG.

What makes me only "tempted" to suggest this, is that I don't know whether people have email filters in place that this would confuse (lots of people expect intended recipient addresses to appear in the to/cc headers, even though this has never been required or expected), or if there are still some WG lists hosted outside of ietf.org that would alter the reply-to field, etc.  The email network is a vast and diverse place.

For the moment, these are the recommendations that make sense to me as being safe changes:

1. Announcements should CC last-call@xxxxxxxx in addition to the long list of other CCs.

2. Last Call comments submitted via the datatracker should use the same Subject format as replies to the announcement:

Re: Last Call: <{internet-draft-identifier}> ({internet-draft-title}) to {intended-status}

(even if the Last Call comment is generated before the announcement - the Re: prefix is important to distinguish the responses from the announcement itself)

3. The Last Call responses, along with the announcement, should be made easily viewable in some way, perhaps via the datatracker, perhaps via an email archive that's specific to the Last Call.

(I've not found the IETF email archives to be very usable in the past, but improving them might make more sense than fixing the datatracker to be a good email archive.)

Keith

[*] notation: I'm using curly braces {} as a substitute for italics, because some email processors don't preserve HTML and some of them translate HTML in weird ways that make it less readable than plain text.