Re: Musing on SIP and SPAM

On 4/28/20 6:00 PM, ned+ietf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020, Dave Cridland wrote:

> RFC 4954 says that it defines a service extension for SMTP, not Submission.
> It does say the extension is appropriate for Submission, but makes no
> suggestion that this is any kind of defining factor. Equally, RFC 6409 does
> not mandate SMTP-AUTH, but does refer to it as exactly that name.

That's what it's called, but I can promise you that in 100% of the many
mail sytems I have looked at, if you authorize, you're doing submission.

Then you haven't looked at a bunch of ours. Authenticated relay isn't routinely
done, but it's by no means unheard of, and we fully support it.

In other words, exonerated for moi. This entire thing was silly.

Mike