Re: Musing on SIP and SPAM

On Tue, 28 Apr 2020, Dave Cridland wrote:

RFC 4954 says that it defines a service extension for SMTP, not Submission.
It does say the extension is appropriate for Submission, but makes no
suggestion that this is any kind of defining factor. Equally, RFC 6409 does
not mandate SMTP-AUTH, but does refer to it as exactly that name.

That's what it's called, but I can promise you that in 100% of the many mail sytems I have looked at, if you authorize, you're doing submission.

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY