RE: Protecting Copyright.

Hi Rob,

> In summary, unless there is some nuance to your question that I misunderstand, I don’t think that Cisco, or anyone else, is copying your ideas on composite metrics.  I think that the basic idea of using composite metrics have been known in the industry for a long time.

The composite metric that eigrp uses depends on the following:

1)     Bandwidth.

2)     Load.

3)     Delay.

4)     Reliability.

5)     MTU.

So, there is no factor “number of hops” taken into consideration in the metric calculation until this was added in the new EIGRP version that you call “named mode EIGRP” with wide metric that includes K6 (number of hops) as an addition to the metric calculation.

This was something new introduced by the Numbering Exchange Protocol (NEP) ID and presented on the IETF 101 remotely, and your colleague asked what are the benefits of adding this factor to the metric, so it wasn’t something on EIGRP and it was something described on the new IGP NEP.

Regards,

Khaled Omar