Re: Musing on SIP and SPAM

In article <d020e8d0-f7ab-6bfc-b65f-250f7bf9e75e@xxxxxxxx>,
Michael Thomas  <mike@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> XMPP differs from SMTP and SIP because there are no intermediate
>> domains - traffic passes from the source domain to the
>> destination domain directly, and in effect the concepts inherent in
>> DKIM and SPF about authorised senders are baked into the basic protocol.
>
>Ah, ok. Most likely the vast majority of email probably has that
>property too, but not all of it.

By volume I believe that the majority of non-spam mail is sent by
third party service bureaus on behalf of clients.  They generally have
an arrangement so the bureau can put the client's DKIM signature on
the mail.

>>     Yes, but SMTP-Auth closes that circle.

Sorry, I don't know what you're referring to by SMTP-Auth.  Do you
mean authentication when connecting to a submission server?  That's
useful but there's no necessary link between the submission-time
authentication identity and anything in the mail, and an awful lot of
mail is sent in ways that don't involve a submission server.

>But for the average SIP spam/phishing case the user part probably
>doesn't mean much. I really have no clue who gladys@xxxxxxx is, but I
>sure do want to know if irs.gov claims she's one of theirs. ...

Talking to some people at big telcos I get the impression that they
plan to use STIR/SHAKEN more or less the way mail systems use DKIM,
not to try to identify individuals sending message, but to develop
a repuation for inccoming message streams and to handle streams with
a lot of crud differently from streams without.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",