URS and LOC (was Re: [isdf] Re: www.internetforce.org)

At 02:30 10/01/04, Wawa Ngenge wrote:
I suspect that any approach that was chosen was the result of negotiations
and discussions among those who took part in the discussion at that time.
Any solution would raise questions in a societal setting, since unanimity
is not the norm in a democratic process.  The RFC process has extended so
deep and so far that change may be difficult, though not impossible.

You are right and Fred's and John's comments below show it. The RFC system is part of the legacy technology, is defined by an RFC and will die with TCP/IP, or kill it.

Is this a reason to come back and stay in 1983 (I would then chose another technology :-). The same reasons are given here as to keep the DNS as it is: 800.000 nameservers out there - yet IDNA came. The same reason as about LHS, yet John wants to go ahead. Experience does not mean fossilization.