Re: Hashing spam

On 04:19 19/12/03, Keith Moore said:

It just strikes me as highly unlikely that a WG would ever change course
because of what would look like random comments from outsiders -- it's
not consistent with the dynamics of a WG, or with human nature.

and that just might be one of our biggest problems, in a nutshell.

True. From experience, the only real way I discovered to make a WG to change its mind is to give it a rewarding R&D spirit and to work together on experimentation, with a reverse pyramidal spirit. I mean: you say the WG is to _solve_ a user documented problem with a real solution as a demo, from a starting point (user documented so the target is not disputed within the WG). Every outsider is welcome to explore new ways from that staring point. these ways and blocking points are kept documented in a sucess/failures/mailestones tree. So people may either try other avenues or to fix failures. Also to compare global results between solution. Often moving a failure within the tree makes it a solution.

What I find frustrating with the RFC system is that nothing final, proven,
validated at a given time so you can build on top. Only projects are final.
I would prefer a lore recipes orieted system where people could also say
"this is the way I do it (or updated it): feel free to help and copy". It would
have probably the same technical initial results but it would be more
rewarding and less blocking. WG would be dynamic clubs where to
concert about development, experimentations and compatibilities.

jfc