Re: Hashing spam

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 03:39:58PM -0500, Keith Moore wrote:
> The problem with this analysis is that it assigns greater value to
> contributions from subscribers than to contributions from
> non-subscribers.  But often the failure to accept clues from
> "outsiders" causes working groups to do harm

I don't believe this is true, for any normal definition of "often".
"Occasionally" might be believable.

>  - and filtering messages
> in the #2 category increases this tendency.

One could just as easily argue that such filtering would decrease the
tendency, because people would modify their behavior to subscribe to
groups they cared about.  Also, one could just as easily argue that
working groups are just as likely to be harmed by distracting comments
from outsiders...

> The occasional rejection
> of #2 messages can be very harmful.

Seems more likely to me that the amount of harm would be lost in the
normal noise of ietf processes.

Regards
Kent

--
Kent Crispin                               "Be good, and you will be
kent@xxxxxxxxx,kent@xxxxxxxxxxxx            lonesome."