PKIs and trust

To further your point, an area completely outside of ICANN's purview, yet an
area requiring governance is PKI. We are at the point where deployment of a
PKI has moved beyond technical issues, becoming almost completely the policy
& politics of "trust". Until the politicians broker the trust relationships,
there is nothing technology can do.

since when are politicians trustworthy enough to broker trust relationships?

I'd put this a different way. Until PKIs are able to represent the rich diversity of trust relationships that exist in the real world, they are mere curiosities with marginal practical value.