Re: [isdf] 1. New Report: "Understanding WSIS" (Hans Klein)

We have been talking about all that on ietf@xxxxxxxx

ISOC should play a fundamental role here.

But let's face it:
They cannot operate a mailing list
They cannot operate a membership management system
They cannot fix Internet technical issues to their local sites
INET is a very low key conference that does not bring any world media coverage
same for IETF meetings
It has very low membership 10000 people out for 200 millions Internet users (?)

On their favor, they are lacking money to have proper staffing and they are doing a good job with their resources.

So how do we move from that to ISOC driving the Internet Governance part?
ISDF is somehow a loose collection of people that never stop to argue and do not produce much as a collective. IETF is nearly the same, except individuals came make contribution that will get peer reviewed... and they are motivated to do that...

So does ISOC needs to add a staff on its payroll who will be dedicated in reviewing governance documents and issues and publish RFCg (RFC on governance)? Like ISOC is paying for the IETF RFC writing Secretariat...

My quick answer is YES, and they must do it fast, real fast...

Hint: They can use some of the .org money for that...

Cheers