Re: national security

iljitsch@xxxxxxxxx (Iljitsch van Beijnum) writes:

> ... (Selecting the "best" path is pretty much an after thought in
> BGP: the RFC doesn't even bother giving suggestions on how to do this.)

congradulations, you're the millionth person to think that was an oversight.

> I don't have a problem with some controlled anycasting, but the root
> operators shouldn't go overboard.

i don't think you will ever meet a more conservative bunch of people, so, OK.

> For instance, the .org zone is only served by two addresses, which are
> then anycast. There have been reports from people who were unable to
> reach either of these addresses when there was some kind of reachability
> problem. The people managing the .org zone are clearly lacking in
> responsibility by limiting the number of addresses from which the zone is
> available without any good reason.

see the icann agreements to find out how much of this was ultradns's choice.

> The situation that must be avoided is where all or most root servers
> seem to be in the same location from a certain viewpoint, as a BGP
> black hole towards that location will then make them all unreachable. I
> would prefer it if several root servers weren't anycast at all, just to
> be on the safe side.

that's exactly what's likely to continue happening.  diversity is good.

there are several.  see www.root-servers.org.  (now if we can just advertise.)

> You missed the point in one of my previous messages: there is no
> officially supported way to do zone transfers for the root. This can stop
> working at any time.

indeed, it's been downhill ever since 10.0.0.53 went away.  now it's chaos.
--
Paul Vixie