Re: Ietf ITU DNS stuff

Jeffrey,

    Governments and ccTLDs: A Global Survey at
    http://www.michaelgeist.ca/geistgovernmentcctlds.pdf
    Column at <http://shorl.com/fastokobruhako> [Toronto Star]
    Think Web's virtually government free? Think again
    MICHAEL GEIST
    LAW BYTES

This study is seems flawed. Here are a quote from someone who read
this:

  I skimmed through it only briefly, but this so-called survey and the
  conclusions that the (I am tempted to say: so-called) professor draws from
  it are downright ridiculous.

  So, Mr Geist got answers from the governments of 56 countries out of about
  250 countries that have ccTLDs. That amounts to an impressive 22 per cent.
  Of these 22 per cent of all ccTLDs, 47 per cent are government run which
  equals a shocking 10 per cent of all ccTLDs.

  It is beyond me how Mr Geist concludes from 10 per cent of all ccTLDs being
  government run that governments are generally "deeply involved in domain
  name administration", even more so as it is pretty safe to assume that the
  governments that did not answer are those that are not involved in domain
  name administration and have no interest in getting involved. Also, Mr
  Geist obviously ignored those countries for which not the government, but
  the registry answered his survey - as it was the case for XXXXXXX.

  If Winston Churchill had seen this, I am sure his famous quote would have
  been: There are lies, damn lies, and statistics - and surveys tampered with
  by Mr Geist ;p

	jaap