Re: Ietf ITU DNS stuff III

Thus spake Dan Kolis:
> The general idea surely of the ITU came about exactly in the context of
> limited frequencies and power, etc. So, fine. Coordination of this is
> reasonable.

Well, when a nation makes laws and treaties obliging both its citizens and
itself to follow certain rules and standards, the nation expects a certain
degree of control over the development of said rules and standards.  The
structure of the ITU (and ISO) is a reasonable design for that scenario.

By and large, compliance with Internet standards is voluntary and
self-motivated; this requires (allows?) a very different organizational
structure.  However, in passing S. 877, the US Congress has for the first
time referenced "Internet Engineering Task Force Standards" (Sec 11.2) in a
law.  For now, it is only as a suggestion to the FTC for rulemaking, not
directly mandating compliance, but if this is a sign of things to come...

Thus spake Franck Martin
> Well to come back to my original comment, is that IETF, IANA and
> ICANN by being "individual members" organisations do not have the
> front of ITU, which is unfortunate as the Internet is not being done in
ITU.
> Governments have to understand that and for that dissociate themselves
> from the old telco concept...

If the Internet _were_ done in the ITU, it would look like the phone system,
and we'd still be stuck in the 1970's.