Re: national security

franck@xxxxxxxxx (Franck Martin) writes:
> This is not a dangerous half-truth, It has to be demystified. Let's take
> the example of a country like Tonga. A simple PC will do for them because
> the number of Internet Users there is may be about a 1000 people. With
> anycast properly set up only the packet of that country will reach the
> local root-server (proximity), so it is unlikely to be under heavy load
> with a 1000 of people on the Internet there...

my experience differs.  when a root name server is present it has to be
fully fleshed out, because if it isn't working properly or it falls over
due to a ddos or if it's advertising a route but not answering queries,
then any other problem will be magnified a hundredfold.  doing root name
service in a half-baked way is much worse than not doing it at all, since
over time the costs of transit to a good server will be less than the costs
of error handling and cleanup from having a bad one.

moreover, your statement "only the packet(s) of that country will reach the
local root server" is presumptive.  under error conditions where transit
is leaked, such a server could end up receiving global-scope query loads.
in our current belt-and-suspenders model, we (f-root) closely monitor our
peer routing, AND we are massively overprovisioned for "expected" loads,
since a ddos or a transit-leak can give us dramatically "unexpected" loads.

if you know someone who is willing to provision a "root" name server without
a similar belt and similar suspenders, then please tell them to stop.

> Finally before a root-server is installed somewhere, someone will do an
> assessment of the local conditions and taylor it adequately. I want
> countries to request installation of root servers, and I know about 20
> Pacific Islands countries that need root-servers in case their Internet
> link goes dead.
>
> cf www.picisoc.org if you want to join us...

on a connectivity island (which might be in the ocean or it might just be
a campus or dwelling), the way to ensure that local service is not disrupted
by connectivity breaks is to make your on-island recursive name servers
stealth slaves of your locally-interesting zones.  in new zealand for
example it was the custom for many years to use a forwarding hierarchy
where the nodes near the "top" were stealth slaves of .NZ, .CO.NZ, etc.
that way if they lost a pacific cable system they could still reach the
parts of the internet which were on the new zealand side of the break.

using a half-baked root-like server to do the same thing would be grossly
irresponsible, both to the local and the global populations.

note that f-root, i-root, j-root, k-root, and m-root are all doing anycast
now, and it's likely that even tonga would find that one or more of these
rootops could find a way to do a local install.  (c-root is also doing
anycast but only inside the cogent/psi backbone; b-root has announced an
intention to anycast, but has not formally launched the programme yet.)