RE: arguments against NAT?

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003, Michel Py wrote:

> >> Michel Py wrote:
> >> I'm not arguing about that, it is delaying things indeed.
> >> However I wonder which kind of instant messaging you are
> >> referring to, as all the ones I've seen work fine through NAT.
>
> > Armando L. Caro Jr.
> > Yahoo and AOL (I have never used MSN). Sure, you can do
> > normal chatting, but once you extend into the other
> > features such as file transfer, voice, and webcam...
> > things break.
>
> In many enterprise environments, this would be a feature not a bug.

Maybe, but that's not the point. Not everyone who is forced to be behind a
NAT is in an enterprise environment. Plus, if enterprise environments want
to implement this "feature", firewalls work fine.

> There are some webcams that are definitely inappropriate in a business
> setup;

Says who? Each business is different.

> given the lack of good enterprise content filtering solutions for
> IM, if NAT does break IM webcams I don't have a problem with it.

You don't have a problem with it, but others do. Plus, why are firewalls
not sufficient for blocking IM?

> As of file transfer, it does not bother me either as like a lot of
> other network administrators I have a problem with users sharing their
> office computer files with anyone unknown on the net.

Again, YOU are ok with file transfer breaking... not everyone.

> For voice there's always that thing called the telephone that has the
> advantage to work all the time with anybody and can be logged.

Oh, your right... so all the time that IM vendors invested in implementing
voice chat was truly a waste, because there is absolutely NO demand for
it. And all those users that currently are using voice chat as we
speak/type have simply missed the fact that they could pick up the phone
to pay more for their conversation.

(As I finish this reply, I realize it was a waste of my time... but now
that it's written, I'll send it anyway.)

~armando

| Armando L. Caro Jr.  |  Protocol Engineering Lab |
| www.armandocaro.net  |    University of Delaware |