Re: Re[3]: national security

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 23:20:20 +0100, "Anthony G. Atkielski" <anthony@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  said:
> jfcm writes:
>
> > I am sure that many security officers or generals would feel unatease if
> > they known their HQ IPv6 address can be just one unknown bit different from
> > the IPv6 address of a ennemy computer.
>
> Nah ... security officers and generals--if they are competent--don't put
> their HQ computers on an open network in the first place. That only
> happens in the movies.

OK.. change "HQ computer" to "www.ANYTHINGBIG.com", and change "enemy" to
"random hacker in another country".  There's boxes that *have* to be visible
to the world because they provide service and connectivity to the outside
world - and you can't even hand-wave "put them in a DMZ" because then you
still need that address mask to tell if the other end of the connection is
coming from outside, another DMZ machine, or an internal machine.