Re[2]: national security

Jari Arkko writes:

> However, I do not believe these proposals consume any
> more address space than, say, manual or EUI-64
> based address assignment.

In order to use the full potential address space, you must devise a
scheme that allocates every single combination of bits.  The simplest
scheme of this kind is sequential allocation of addresses.

> There's still just one address consumed per
> node.

It's not the number consumed; it's the number excluded from availability
by the encoding of information into the address field.  You might easily
waste 99% of the address space in this way.

> Perhaps you were thinking that the address contains a MAC field?

No.  I'm thinking that the address field is being divided into zones,
thus wasting a tremendous amount of space.

A 128-bit field contains 2^128 addresses.  If you divide that into two
64-bit fields, you may get as few as 2^64*2 addresses; that's 18
million trillion times smaller than the 128-bit field.