Re: i18n name badges

I think having the punycode form have no "value" on a name badge. Punycode, as it is designed, is meant for machine-to-machine communication.

But I like the idea of allowing participation to put their own native names together with their ASCII version on the name badge especially for the next IETF.

But...

1. What if the person don't have ASCII only name?
  (e.g. Patrik Fältström)

2. What if the person have a name which the computer cant be printed?
   (Maybe it is not in ISO 10646, maybe it is but there is no fonts,
    maybe the fonts is there but the rendering is wrong?)

Since we are on the topic of the name badge, it is possible to somehow tag the family name of the person? (e.g. underline? bold? captialized?) Not everyone follows the <Last Name> <First Name> convention. In fact, the concept of "First and Last" name is quite alien to me.

-James Seng

Dave Crocker wrote:

Fred,

FB> What I would suggest, if we do this, is writing the person's name *twice*: FB> once in their native character set, and once in a form that an FB> english-reader can read. The latter is an established interchange architecture

I believe that was the intention in the proposal. List names in the same way we always have, AND list them in their "native" form.

Whether it would helpful to provide a third form -- the ascii encoding
of the native form, as it would be seen in an email address header -- is
a separate question.

/d
--
 Dave Crocker <dcrocker-at-brandenburg-dot-com>
 Brandenburg InternetWorking <www.brandenburg.com>