Re: Removing features

--On Wednesday, 15 October, 2003 13:45 -0400 Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu> wrote:

Now, whether that interception and diversion of DNS queries
is a  moral activity is a different question.    But, if you
believe  strongly enough that having a NAT in the first place
puts one  into a serious state of sin, then the marginal sin
of  intercepting DNS queries for private addresses, to
prevent the  sort of problems those queries cause, seems to
me to be fairly  small.

I probably agree. But I guess my question is "where does it end?"

That is, how many things do we change elsewhere in the network
in order to minimize the operational problems that crop up
with NATs?  What is the cost of those changes, and how much do
they impair the ability of the network to support applications?

That, it seems to me, is a pragmatic way to state the key architectural question. A different version of it, borrowed from a different debate, is how much a particular new capability is permitted to force deployed systems or applications code to change the way they are doing things in the interest of the innovation contained in that new capability.

john