Re: accusations of cluelessness

Vladis,

> On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 21:48:23 EDT, shogunx said:
>
> > If you have $2500 to ante up for the allocation.
>
> If the $2,500 is a stumbling block, you're probably WAY undercapitalized for
> the project in the first place....

A situation I'm used to.

> Why do you need your own allocation?  Either because you're getting pretty
> big, or you want to multihome a /26 or some such tiny allocation.

Or you are building new infrastructure.

> Let's say you're getting big enough to want your own /19 - even if you're in a /
> 20 and growing, that's still 4,000 machines (either your own or customers)..
> plus admin salaries, rent, etc, you're a fairly good sized business.  That $2500
> shouldn't be a breaking cost - if it is, you're close to failing already and need to be
> thinking about consolidating, not expanding...

Actually just starting to do thing this way.  In the past I have found it
expedient to simply bypass any security measures and connect a machine
wherever necessary.  And the point is, who decided that IP addresses are a
commodity item anyway?

> If you're tiny and trying to multihome, and can't afford $2500, you're probably
> not going to be able to afford the router and 2 or more leased lines, and the
> expertise to do it - you probably should be looking at a colo instead.

No need to multihome.  In fact, for this PARTICULAR application, I can
probably use a free v6 /24 from a tunnel broker routed over a private
address network, although the users will probably notice the packet
latency from their terminal to the tunnel broker, and its a nasty kludge.

Router?  I can build that if necessary.

Colo?  Why when I have access to a Tier 1 NOC with backbone running
through it, though that is 600 miles away.

Scott

sleekfreak pirate broadcast
world tour 2002-3
live from the pirate hideout