Re: accusations of cluelessness

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 16:11:07 EDT, Keith Moore said:

> the reason I don't try to repudiate BCP 5 is that it's clear that for IPv4
> we're out of addresses, and you can't really solve the problem in IPv4
> any other way except to move to another address space.

IANA gave out 61/8 in April 97. 69/8 was August 2002. Except for 3 /8s given to
RIPE, there's NOTHING all the way to 126/8.  56 /8s at a burn rate of 2 /8s per
year gives us some 28 more years.  There's also a big chunk up around 173-190/8
for another few years worth...

There's also reason to suspect that for at least 10-15 years, we've reached
somewhat of a plateau in address consumption - the dot-bomb bubble bursting
released a lot of address space allocated to since-departed end users, and the
relatively flat performance by both Microsoft and PC manufacturers indicates
that in the US/Europe area and most of the more advanced parts of the Pacific
Rim, the majority of people who want to be online already are.  There's high
percentage growth in South America/ Africa/Asia, but quite frankly, there's
some major infrastructure issues those areas have to deal with first.

On the other hand, a /28 and a /16 both flap just as hard....