Re: POP3 prograsm that enforce old message policies

Hi Dan,

--On Monday, September 8, 2003 13:08 -0400 Dan Kolis <dank@hq.lindsayelec.com> wrote:

| Another way to do this is via EHLO and then your client would have to
| subscribe to the "feature" of some timed self delete or you would be
| denied access totally. This would make sure the user is given a heads up
| on the whole thing.
|
| This would be super clean. Your program (in your national language) warns
| you the server is going to enforce some message removal method.
|
| With the excellent thinking in the development of these... I'm surprised
| that's not how it works.

See RFC 2449 - POP3 EXTENSIONS. In particular the EXPIRE capability. That allows a server to advertise its message retention policy. I'm not sure how many clients/servers currently implement it, but it is there as an official extension.

--
Cyrus Daboo