POP3 extensions - thanks

Pete Resnick at Qualcomm tells me/us of POP3 extensions:
>RFC 2449: POP3 Extension Mechanism.

and

>POP already has authentication (RFC 1734) and TLS (RFC 2595), but I
>don't think that's what you're talking about. I don't see how crypto
>or authentication apply to spam in the context of POP here.

All I was thinking is it seems like the SMTP infrastructure is sort of hard
to tinker with. Businesses live and die by email, etc and any chance
something they want doesn't get thru is a big deal for people.

While sitting in the POP3 holding pen... a email could be subject to
scrutiny of different kinds that might be easier to manage than a change to
SMTP stuffola.

I will read the RFC so I know more about what I'm mumbling about in the future.

Cool
thanks
Dan