RE: Solving the right problems ...

Jeroen Massar wrote:
> [?Does this need to keep going to both ietf@ietf.org & ipng@sunroof?]

Not as far as I am concerned. If we take the suggested path, the work is
clearly outside the IPv6 WG, and anyone on the IPv6 list that cares to
follow the discussion is now aware of it. I will be dropping ipng from any
further responses to this thread.

> My current idea puts it at the resolver level. The
> application gets the 128bits identifier, which actuall is a
> IPv6 address, either given out from a special registry or
> simply from an /48 that is already assigned to you. This
> address can be used for both routing and identification
> purposes and can easily be assigned to hosts by using RA.
>
> The stack/API then maintains a list of routing IP's that
> are associated by that "IdentifierIP" and then replaces it
> before it enters the network with the routing IP that is to
> be used for actually routing the packet. On initial
> communication there could be an extra header sent along which
> says "this packet originates from this Identifier IP" along
> with a signature, verifyable through eg DNS to check it is
> really it. HIP is much further there though.

The only issue is the slight of hand in 'The stack/API then maintains a list
of routing IP's ...'. It would appear your assumption is that L4 or below
would perform the substitution magic, and have a protocol to communicate to
the peer what the magic is. I am saying that this should simply be a formal
layer between L4 & L7. This avoids messing with existing lower layers which
would create compatibility issues both for the peer node, as well as
application expectations about what the lower layers do.

> This way apps don't need to know about it, they only need
> to know about IPv6. One could also pass this along to IPv4
> except then it needs an extra magic packet for the IDIP. See
> HIP again. And I am thinking about using the above for
> solving a little problem for dynamic hosts in the SixXS project.

So you prove my original point, 'there is a sacred invariant, and we must
avoid messing with the app / transport interface at all costs'. Everything
you described would fit cleanly in an entity that sat between L4 & L7. In
fact from an architectural perspective, the "IdentifierIP" you describe
would be the name of the point in the stack shared by all interfaces &
transports. It really doesn't matter if that name is variable length ascii,
or fixed length binary, but I am sure many will share their favorite
opinion.

Tony