Re: WG Review: Centralized Conferencing (xcon)

keith,

SIP may have been initially motivated by telephony style applications but it is a very general and extensible negotiation protocol - it was that aspect that grabbed my attention when I first heard about Schulzrinne's work on it several years ago. I think the point really is that SIP is extensible and may be a very reasonable platform on which to build a wide range of peer to peer and distributed application control.

vint

At 07:43 PM 8/20/2003 -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
>Why in the world should IETF bias a conferencing solution toward the telephony
>providers?  I mean, if SIP turned out to be a good solution for everyone, fine.
>But the group shouldn't assume a priori that SIP is the right direction.

Vint Cerf
SVP Technology Strategy
MCI
22001 Loudoun County Parkway, F2-4115