Re: concerning draft-josefsson-dns-url-08.txt

Simon Josefsson wrote:
>one added some text to clarify that it was actually intended to allow
>for zero length dnsname's (to denote the DNS root).

This is technically correct, according to RFC 1034, but will be confusing.
"dns:" intuitively looks incomplete.  It's more conventional to name
the root domain in absolute form, as ".".  An interesting comparison:
the "dig" DNS lookup tool from the BIND folks doesn't accept "" as a
domain name; it insists on the root domain being specified as ".".

So I argue that requiring the root domain to be represented as "." in the
context of the URI, forbidding a zero-length <dnsname>, will make for a
clearer protocol, more likely to be implemented correctly.  This isn't
an absolute matter, though; both versions of the protocol are workable.

-zefram