From: owner-ietf@ietf.org [mailto:owner-ietf@ietf.org]On Behalf Of Keith
Moore
Sent: Thursday, June 19, 2003 10:52 PM
To: EKR
Cc: moore@cs.utk.edu; dts@senie.com; ietf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: myth of the great transition (was US Defense Department
forma lly adopts IPv6)

> > until recently the only way I could get even one
> > static IP address for my home was through a special deal with a
> > friend of mine who had a small ISP, and the best bandwidth I could
> > get was 128kbps.  none of the other local providers would sell me
> > one.
>
> Doesn't the fact that there's not enough demand for this product
> to make it available suggest anything to you?

does the fact that there was enough demand for the product that it
eventually became available suggest anything to you?

> > so if you can't come up with a rational explanation for something,
> > just pretend that the market is wise and cite it as an unimpeachable
> > authority.
>
> I do have a rational explanation: the customers don't actually care
> at all about your fundamentalist commitment to end-to-end
> connectivity.

true, customers don't care about e2e.  they do, however, care about
running apps that won't work when e2e is broken.

> So, on the one hand, we have the actual behavior of millions of
> people.

no, we have your biased interpretation of that behavior, as observed
from a great distance, through a dirty lens.

Keith