Re: primary purpose of firewalls

> >> Michel Py wrote:
> >> I do not agree with this. The primary purpose of firewalls is
> >> to protect BOTH the network and the hosts.
>
> > the reason I disagree is that fundamentally, there's no way
> > that a firewall can reliably distinguish legitimate traffic
> > from illegitimate traffic,
>
> This is flat out untrue. Below are a few examples of illegitimate
> traffic that my firewall trashed recently.

read what I wrote again.  yes it can catch some things that are illegitimate.
it cannot reliably catch all things that are illegitimate without also
blocking legitimate traffic.

> > what it cannot do is remove the burden from hosts and
> > applications to implement reliable security.
>
> This is unexpected coming from you. Look again at the last example I
> pasted. Do _you_ suggest that I should trust _that_ vendor to implement
> reliable security?

I believe you should buy or write applications that ensure their own security
and protect the security of the machines on which they are hosted.  I believe
you should buy computing platforms that provide facilities to isolate
applications from one another, so that a single compromised application
doesn't compromise your entire platform.  I didn't say you should trust
others' applications to not try to attack your system.

> >> There is nothing wrong with this if another intermediary puts it
> >> back the way it was originally, preserving end-to-end traffic.
>
> > if you're talking about RSIP, I don't think that's true, because
> > IIRC it still requires hosts and apps to be aware of addressing
> > realms.
>
> I was talking about MHAP which is transparent to hosts and apps.

I'm not familiar with that acronym.  pointer to a spec?

Keith