primary purpose of firewalls

> > I believe the primary purpose of firewalls should be to
> > protect the network, not the hosts, from abusive or
> > unauthorized usage.
>
> I do not agree with this. The primary purpose of firewalls is to protect
> BOTH the network and the hosts.

the reason I disagree is that fundamentally, there's no way that a firewall
can reliably distinguish legitimate traffic from illegitimate traffic, and
there's no way that a firewall can exclude all (or in many cases even most)
threats.  to do that it would have to be smarter than the application.  a
firewall can thwart some subset of threats, or a firewall can block legitimate
traffic.  what it cannot do is remove the burden from hosts and applications
to implement reliable security.

OTOH, the network cannot expect hosts to protect it; it must protect itself.
that's why I say that the primary purpose of firewalls is to protect the
network. if the firewall can also provide security in depth for hosts, that's
useful, but that's just a backup - there's no way to have confidence in the
security of a host that relies on firewalls as its primary means of
protection.

> > an intermediary MUST NOT alter the source or destination
> > field in an IP header.
>
> There is nothing wrong with this if another intermediary puts it back
> the way it was originally, preserving end-to-end traffic.

if you're talking about RSIP, I don't think that's true, because IIRC it still
requires hosts and apps to be aware of addressing realms.