Re: WG review: Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks (l2vpn)

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 01:18:10PM -0400, Melinda Shore allegedly wrote:
> I think we need to retain a focus on connectionless,
> packet-oriented delivery and how to build on that.  I wonder
> if we aren't going considerably astray with the growing
> emphasis on pseudo-circuits.

The IETF does continue to have an emphasis on connectionless,
packet-oriented delivery.  That's our fundamental architecture, without
question.  In the meantime there are customers who want to transition to
c, p-o d but need mechanisms for doing so.  Why did we spend any time on
transition from IPv4 to IPv6?  In order to make transition easier.  They
want to convert.  Do we say outsiders can't convert to our religion,
they can only be born into it?  Do you want them to define their own
ways to do [virtual] circuit emulation?