Re: Certificate / CPS issues

On Sun, 08 Jun 2003 11:34:20 BST, you said:
> > a digital signature *could* be binding even if it's invalid
>
> If it is legal binding, when if the CA signs my certificate would also
> be a legal blinding act? Since a certificate is a document that has a
> digital signature.
>
> False certification would make CA in trouble regardless of their
> disclaimer.

Verisign found that out the hard way with the bogus Microsoft certificate.

The *bigger* problem is that a very high percentage of the private keys out
there are probably stored on one particular series of operating systems that
are well known for their security flaws - and as such, attacking said machines
with malware designed to harvest keys is a high-profit attack.