Re: Engineering to deal with the social problem of spam

Paul writes:

> 1. does the ietf as a community generally believe
>    that provable mutual consent between a sender and
>    recipient is an achievable (technically) and
>    desireable (by the global user base) goal?

It's certainly achievable technically, since other protocols already do it.
I don't see it as desirable, though, since it would generate more overhead
than spam does, and it would significantly slow and impede e-mail
communication overall.  Additionally, it might take decades for everyone on
the Internet to adopt it, and those who did not would eventually be at a
disadvantage, even if they were not spammers.

> 2. if #1, does this same community believe #1 can be
>    accomplished by means of negative pressure (bayesian,
>    dcc, blackhole lists, hashcash, etc) on the current
>    e-mail system (smtp, rfc822, mime)?

No.

> 3. if !#2, then does this same community have any interest
>    in being a creative, ambitious force that brings this
>    functionality to the masses, or should this work be
>    pursued independently/elsewhere?

Not applicable, given the answer to #2.