Re: what the "scope" disagreement is about

Thus spake "Keith Moore" <moore@cs.utk.edu>
> being able to distinguish an ambiguous address from a global address
> doesn't solve the problem of requiring hosts or apps to be aware of
> topology in order to make address selection.

A host/app needs to be similarly aware of topology (and security policy) to
make any reasonable selection between multiple global addresses.  Adding
non-globals to the mix doesn't make things significantly worse.

> > Yes, we need to complete the work on making the 38 bits globally
> > unique, but that can't happen if we start by eliminating the first 10.
>
> If we can agree on how to make the first 48 bits globally unique, does
> it really matter what values are assigned to the first 10 bits?

Yes, it does.  Having a common prefix for non-global addresses makes the job
of network managers much simpler, and thus reduces the likelihood of leaks.
Does it need to be a 10-bit prefix?  Not really, but FEC0::/10 is already
there.

> (yes, GUPIs, NOT SLs.  they WILL be routed between sites, for good
> reasons, and we shouldn't try to stop this)

Since this is the first time I've seen "GUPI" used, should I assume that
means a globally unique provider-independent prefix which isn't globally
routed?  If so, I think you're using that term in the same sense Tony uses
SL.