RE: IPv6 address space shortages (was: Re: A simple question)

S Woodside wrote:
> 44 bits are provider independent and encode GPS coordinates.
> It's enough to have accuracy to roughly 10 meter squares.

The 04 version reduced that to 6.4 m, but your point about it being
somewhat course is valid. I stopped at 44 bits because the goal was
creating a /48. If that is expanded to a /52 you are looking at > .5 m
resolution. While this is possible to encode, the publicly available
gear is not capable of measuring that accurately.

> BUT ... that doesn't consider altitude.

Depending on the intended use, that can be further encoded in the
remaining bits to create a unique /64 per cubic .5 m, 2 km deep.

> In addition, it's quite easy to see that 10
> meter squares may be a little bit too big for some purposes, even if
> you're just talking about individual homes. Also, it doesn't
> provide a
> mechanism to define an area rather than a point. I could go on.
>
> So it's clear at least to me that under this scheme there is
> not enough
> space in IPv6 to do proper justice to georouting.

We have the option of using longer than /64 prefixes if necessary. I
would prefer not to go there, but given a unique need it could be done.

Tony