Re: A Good Schism Brightens Anyone's Day (was: A Simple Question)

Thus spake "John Kristoff" <jtk@depaul.edu>
> This seems OK to me and appears to put the burden in the right place.
> Shouldn't it be the responsibility of those who are allocated address
> space to properly manage it?  Others can still filter on long and valid
> prefixes that they expect to hear.

Or, if these non-routed allocations were from a specific IANA-designated
block, providers could simply filter them all with one directive.

> ...and if its gonna leak anyway, it might as well be globally unique.
> Other networks will certainly be less likely to collide and try to
> communicate with the leaked space.

Certainly.  However, providers tend to advertise whatever customers pay them
to advertise, so these "non routable" blocks may end up permanently
reachable from non-trivial portions of the Internet.

There are many applications, such as pre-positioned content caching, where
it's desirable to only have connectivity to those topologically "close".
Overall, though, this makes it even more important that we find a workable
solution to the multiple-address problem.