Re: A follow up question

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:27:09 PDT, Tony Hain said:
> Keith Moore wrote:
> > this presupposes that the blob that is passed is precisely
> > and reliably bound to the specific host or process that the
> > app wants to refer to, and also that the lookup process that
> > maps blobs to locators and/or identifiers is sufficiently
> > fast and robust.  often neither of these conditions holds.
>
> If the first one doesn't hold, the origin node can't use it so the whole
> app is broken. Speed is an implementation issue, not a spec issue. In

This is going to come as quite the shock to every website that includes
URLs of the form http://www.foo-bar.com/whatever  where foo-bar.com is
resolved with a round-robin DNS.  I'm also surprised that apps using SMTP
are so ready to hand around blobs of the form '<*@AOL.COM>' and *totally* not
caring which server it gets handed to - such broken behavior HAS to be
stamped out IMMEDIATELY. :)

Some quick back-of-envelop calculations indicate that quite likely over
half of all traffic on the Internet, and possibly 75%, are the result of
apps that are "broken" by your definition.